- 500g beef mince
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1-2 grated carrots
- 1 grated courgette (optional)
- 1 grated beetroot (optional)
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 800g chopped tomato
- 800g cooked kidney beans or canned chili beans
- 3 tsp cocoa powder (optional)
- 2 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp coriander, ground
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground (optional)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp chilli powder or 1 tsp chilli paste
- 4 tbsp tomato sauce
In a large pan saute the onions and garlic in a little oil. Add the mince and cook on low-medium until browned.
Add all the spices, cocoa, salt and chilli to the meat. Stir through.
Add the chopped tomatoes, beans, and tomato sauce. Stir through.
Grate carrot and courgette into the pan, and stir through.
Let the mixture simmer gently on medium until water has evaporated and mixture has thickened.
Serve with corn chips, sour cream and grated cheese.
Crock pot modification: add half cup flour to the base mixture and mix well before cooking.